History of Education: Selected Moments of the 20th Century
Some Significant Events
- 1941 Pearl Harbour attacked by Japanese.
- 1942 Congress of Racial Equality (CORE) founded to fight for civil rights using nonviolent, direct-action protests.
- 1943 Warsaw ghetto uprising.
1944 D-day marks the beginning of the Nazi Party's defeat by Allied forces in
World War II.
1944 Congress authorizes the GI Bill of Rights, which guaranteed veterans access to home loans, scholarship, life insurance and unemployment insurance.
1945 U.S. drops atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
1946 Juan Domingo Peron is elected President in Argentina.
1947 Marshall Plan
- 1948 President Harry Truman ends segregation in the U.S. military.
- 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights adopted by the General Assembly
of the United Nations.
- 1948 Ghandi assasinated.
- 1948 Big Bang theory formulated.
- 1949 Mao Tse-Tung announces the establishment of the People’s Republic of